Sunday, January 19, 2014

Paleo Coconut Shrimp!

I LOVE the coconut shrimp from Outback Steakhouse. Warm, crispy, sweet, and fattening. One serving of their coconut shrimp has about 420 calories, but to be honest it's not the calories that bother me. What I don't like is that they are dipped in beer batter, fried (probably in canola oil), and served with what i'm sure is a dipping sauce of high fructose corn syrup. So although these are delicious, and I still order them occasionally, I would rather make my own at home and enjoy a bigger portion for less calories and fat. I also like making my own because there are no mystery ingredients. So the other day I attempted to make my own and they came out great! After looking through a few recipes on pinterest this is what I came up with.

MAKES 2 SERVINGS


  • 24 regular sized shrimp
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat coconut
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
In one bowl mix all of your dry ingredients. The coconut flour, shredded coconut, cayenne, salt, and pepper. In another bowl go ahead and mix your wet ingredients. The egg and egg white.

Make sure that your shrimp have been cleaned and patted dry.

In a medium sized frying pan melt 1 tbsp. coconut oil on medium heat.

Place a few shrimps in the egg mixture to coat them, then move them over to your dry mixture to "bread" them. 

Once they are covered with the dry coconut mixture you are going to drop them into the coconut oil. Let them cook for two minutes on each side.

Remove the shrimp from the frying pan and place on to a paper towel.

And here's what they'll look like!

 These are great for lunch! Full of protein,healthy fats, and no processed carbs. They were delicious! Hope you guys enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment